Thanks for your interest in the McLean Volunteer Fire Department (MVFD). Our Department has a long history of providing high quality fire, rescue, and emergency medical services and life safety education to the McLean community in partnership with the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department and we have a great group of volunteers.
MVFD was incorporated in 1923 with more than nine decades for continuous service to the citizens of McLean. We have 50 plus volunteers who contribute more than 12,000 hours of service yearly to the community. We work alongside 45 career staffed assigned to MVFD. The station runs more than 7000 calls a year. We are a four function station with an engine, tower ladder, heavy rescue and medic ambulance. We have two reserve apparatus and an antique engine that serves as Santa’s sleigh during the holiday season.
You do not need to have any previous Emergency Medical Service (EMS) or fire training in order to join. The training provided by Fairfax County is world-class, but requires a significant investment of time and energy during evenings and weekends to successfully complete. We are currently looking for operational members. We also have a need for administrative members who have background/experience in grant-writing, fundraising, and development.
Before applying, please visit the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department Recruitment Section‘s webpage (include link) and carefully review the eligibility requirements, the application process, and the time commitment which is extensive.
Please also review the list of requirements/expectations below. To be considered for membership you must meet be able to meet all of the below requirements. Unfortunately we cannot accept members who are only in the area for a short period of time (less than three consecutive years) due to the time, effort, and investment required to become a competent operational volunteer:
- Be a U.S. citizen or current legal resident with at least 24 months of U.S residency
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Be able to volunteer for three consecutive years from the time you join MVFD
- Be able to successfully pass a background investigation
- Have a valid U.S. driver’s license
- Provide a copy of your driving record
- Take and pass annual drug testing
- Take and pass an annual Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department physical
- Volunteer at least 20 hours per month/240 hours per year, including completion of mandatory refresher/recertification training.
- This does not include the intensive training for EMT-B and fire fighter certification
- Attend monthly membership meetings at MVFD station the third Monday of the month at 1900 hours (members must attend 6 of 12 per year)
- Attend 3 of 5 all hands events on weekends throughout the year
- Attend training on nights and weekends at the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Academy on Ox Hill Road in Fairfax, VA.
If you meet all of the above requirements and want to learn more about volunteer opportunities please express your interest via the online recruitment form. Thanks again for your interest.